Monday, October 11, 2010

Make Your Own Hawkgirl Mask...In Only An Hour!!

I was cruising the aisles of Joann Fabrics with the maternal unit today getting my Halloween plans in order.  I happened to see one of the little free project sheets sticking out from one of racks while looking at the in miscellaneous aisle in the back of the store:

Forget Bruce Wayne going back in time and being Cave Batman.  How about a Neolithic Hawkgirl?

And of course, when I saw this, I immediately flipped out and took one.  Incredulously, the instructions say "one hour" for the crafting time, which I find highly dubious.  I find it even more dubious that anyone would want to make this in the first place, even if it is cool-looking.  But I did find it interesting to know that you can sculpt leather just by soaking it in water and letting it dry.  You learn something new every day I guess, right?

Rivets?  Does anyone know how hard it is to rivet leather with hand tools?

So who's going to go make a Hawkgirl/man mask?  Come on...you know you want to!

2 comments:

SallyP said...

For some reason, these things never quite turn out the way that they are supposed to, and they take six hours, not one, and you'll end up with bandages on all of your fingers, not to mention somehow setting fire to the clothes dryer or something...but if the end result is the same as the picture...it's WORTH IT!

LissBirds said...

lol....dryer fires are what stop me from crafting more often.

The mask really does look amazing. I'm tempted to make one, or at least show it to the art teacher at work.