Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter, Comics Style

Okay, I was sitting around watching the yearly broadcast of The Ten Commandments while dyeing Easter eggs, which is the closest thing I've got to an Easter family tradition.  (The egg-dyeing part is all me, however.)

So, I measure out three tablespoons of white vinegar and pour it into a set of thirty-year old free promotional coffee mugs that came from the A & P.  (Or was it Woolworth's?)  Watching the little dye tablets fizz (my favorite part, actually), I'm planning out my egg-dyeing strategy.  I always go with a purple egg first, and it never comes out looking good, ever, because the purple dye tablet is not actually purple but some weird red/blue hybrid, and I always wind up with a splotchy magenta-spotted-blue mess of an egg.  (Back in the day, you always had to use extra vinegar on the purple tablet.  I never knew why.)

Okay, the rubber band egg next.  My old standard, but still fun.  Then I start playing with the little invisible crayon I had hanging around from a previous kit.  (The good folks at Paas didn't provide one in the kit I just bought...they're getting cheap.)

Then it dawns on me.  Of course!  I'll do a comic-themed egg.

And what comic book character looks most like an egg?

Yep.  Ladies and gentlemen, I present you with Egg-o, the newest member of the Green Lantern Corps, and little brother to big planet Green Lantern Mogo:


My family isn't going to know what the heck that thing is when they open up the egg carton.  And I'm going to feel bad eating it, too.

4 comments:

Tom said...

I'd also feel squeamish about eating a little alien Green Lantern. You'll have to let someone else eat that egg.

As for your family not understanding something you did, I'm going out on a limb and guessing that you're kinda' used to that by now.

will_in_chicago said...

I hope that no said "Leggo my Egg-o!"

LissBirds said...

"As for your family not understanding something you did, I'm going out on a limb and guessing that you're kinda' used to that by now." Bwa-ha. Pretty much!

No one had the opportunity to say "Leggo my Egg-o!" because we all completely forgot about the eggs and they're still in the fridge. Though tomorrow I'm sure I'll get questions more along the lines of "Why is there wax all over this egg?!" rather than, "What the hell is this?!" Either way, I'll be amused.

Sea-of-Green said...

Now THAT's an awesome Easter Egg. :-)

Ten Commandments, huh? For us, it's usually Ben Hur followed by Easter Parade. This year, we couldn't bring ourselves to slog through Ben Hur (especially with Mighty Mite around), so we just watched Easter Parade while Mighty Mite de-eared her chocolate bunny. :-)